Adultery is a dangerous result to happen to a marriage. It can tear families apart, causes trust to be lost and cause generational curses. If you notice what I mentioned in the first sentence, I said that it is a “result.” That means there are things that we do prior that leads up to adultery. They aren’t huge things, they are simple things that we do or witness within a marriage that lead to a spouse cheating. Here are a few things to check or have a Mirror Moment with as you continue to read this post:
- Misunderstanding of priorities– When we don’t have a good grasp of priorities, then we begin to juggle and drop our marriage responsibilities. We begin “cheating” on our spouse with lack of thoughtfulness towards them. We begin putting things before them. It could start off as something as small as playing video games, watching t.v. or hanging out with friends. This could eventually lead to putting priority with a person over your spouse. Which then could possibly lead to adultery.
- Lack of integrity– If you are not honest with yourself, then it is going to be impossible to be honest with your spouse. If you are struggling with looking (and longing) at someone else or at porn, then you should have conversations with your spouse. If you don’t follow good moral decisions, they could also lead you on a path of having an affair as well.
- Jealousy– Many times, we can get jealous of our spouse. They make more money than we do, have more friends than we do or have a better and peaceful life than we are perceiving. This can immaturely make us lash out at them by finding someone else that either “gets us” or is willing to give us a pity party.
Please take these key points and see if you or your spouse are doing these things within your marriage:
- Am I making my spouse my number priority?
- Am I living and walking in integrity with my spouse?
- Am I jealous of my spouse?
This, along with prayer and keeping God the center of your marriage, will help you to keep from having affairs. Spread The Soup!2